In grade school, we learned the various benefits of sunlight not only to us human beings but to the plants and animals as well. Its uses are numerous that living is not possible without it. Aside from giving distinction to nightand day, let us focus here on the fabulous benefits of sunlight to us human beings. Here they are:
1. We get Vitamin D from the sun to keep our immune system strong. It also works hand in hand with other hormones and vitamins to prevent osteoporosis and brittle bones. Early sunlight is beneficial to us and 10 to 15 minutes of direct exposure can give us the day’s requirement for Vitamin D. Solar UVB radiation, 290-315 nm is the main source of vitamin D and dietary supplements available today are not that sufficient. Avoid over exposure to the sun as it will be harmful. Not only will you get sunburn which can be very irritating but you can also develop skin problems that can lead to skin cancer. This just goes to prove that too much of everything is definitely not good.
2. Many people go to the beaches or outdoor areas to have a tan. It surely improves your appearance and makes your skin glow and look healthier. If constantly done, the sunlight changes the melanin in the skin which causes it to take on a darker pigment. Avoid sunburn at all cost – as it damages your skin cells.
3. Sunlight can enhance your mood. Most people link sunlight with happiness as it allows us to do outdoor activities like gardening, outdoor sports like golf, basketball or simply stroll in the park with your dog. Sunlight can even help overcome depression in contrast to gloomy winter which triggers depression – especially to people with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). The sunlight can definitely change their mood from being sad to happy.
4. Studies show that regular exposure to sunlight at the recommended level during younger years can help you avoid developing Type 1 diabetes, metabolic syndromes, cardiovascular diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and hypertension – as well as cancer in later life especially prostate cancer in men.
5. Sunlight has healing benefits especially for people suffering from depression, impaired liver or kidney, diabetes (type1) and many more. Studies have shown that the vitamin D we get from the sun can improve our immune system. Being out there can simply make you feel lighter and cheerful so whatever ill feeling you may have, it can definitely brighten your mood.
The benefits of sunlight to us are simply fabulous and they are available for free for everybody – the rich and the poor, the young and the old. Having just the right exposure since childhood can even make us avoid dreaded diseases in life. It is like a preventive measure which protects us from misery and pain when we get older. Isn’t it great that the very unassuming sun is not just there for nothing? Regardless of age and the condition that you are in, it’s never too late to experience its healing power. So, go out early when the sun is up and let your body be showered with lots of benefits.